The NMAA Foundation has distributed over $400,000 in scholarships to 300+ students since its inception in 2007. During the 2021-2022 school year, and due to the challenges brought forth by the COVID-19 pandemic, the NMAA Foundation awarded an additional $16,000 in “Together We Rise” scholarships. In total, $41,500 was given to 37 New Mexico Students. The Foundation Board of Directors has decided to continue the Together We Rise program in 2022-2023, and a minimum of ten (10) additional $1,000 scholarships will be distributed in an effort to support even more kids during these difficult times. Scholarships will be awarded to individuals in the following categories:
- Mario Martinez Memorial NMAA Extraordinary Participation, presented by Nusenda Credit Union (excellence in academics & multiple athletic programs from Class A-2A schools; 2 @ $2,000 each)
- Gary Tripp NMAA Extraordinary Participation, presented by Nusenda Credit Union (excellence in academics, athletics, and activities from Class 3A-5A schools; 2 @ $2,000 each)
- Compete with Class, presented by the NM National Guard (sportsmanship; max of 8 @ $1,000 each)***
- Dan & Lucille / Grey Gladiator Athletics, presented by Dion’s (excellence in academics and athletics; 2 @ $1,000 each)
- Activities, presented by NB3 Foundation and Realty One of NM (excellence in academics and activities; 2 @ $1,000 each)
- El Richards / Frances Walsh Spirit, presented by Varsity Spirit (excellence in academics & Cheer/Dance; 2 @ $1,000 each)
- Trade / Technical School, presented by Baca NVS (excellence in athletics, academics, and interest in vocational skills training; 1 @ $1,000 each)
- “Together We Rise” (chosen from applicant pool for above scholarships based on achievement in athletics or activities, academics, and evaluation of personal statements; minimum 10 scholarships at $1,000 each)
There will also be several “at-large” selections for the Coach Dick Shelley St. Michael’s High School Basketball, Ralph Ortiz BPOE Elks Club of Santa Fe, Ralph Ortiz Santa Fe Knights of Columbus, Mike Mittelstaedt Memorial, Lt. Col. Cecil Lynn Jr. Memorial, Austin Denton Memorial, and Pedro & Mateo Sandoval Strong Family Scholarships. Similar to the “Together We Rise Scholarships”, there is no formal application for these at-large awards as the recipients will be chosen from the pool of individuals that apply for the categories listed above.
***Note: There is no formal application process for the Compete with Class scholarships as awards will be given to students that best exemplify the three pillars of the Compete with Class sportsmanship initiative - Respect, Integrity, and Responsibility. Recipients will be selected by the NMAA Foundation Board of Directors based on recommendations from the NMAA and its member schools. These scholarships are available to students from all grade levels, not just graduating seniors (all other scholarships are awarded to graduating seniors only and are based on an application process).
The deadline for each scholarship application is February 1st, 2023, but Compete with Class Scholarship nominations/recommendations can be made through June.
Application packets must be submitted online via the following webpage: https://www.nmact.org/foundation/scholarship-forms/
For a full list of scholarships and requirements, please visit: https://www.nmact.org/foundation/scholarship-forms/
For more information contact Chris Kedge at email@example.com.